Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine integration with WaveEngine

Hi,

I am trying to build a 2D a game using Spine as an animation tool and WaveEngine as game engine.

Struggling to integrate spine with waveengine, can someone please provide some details around the followings ?

- Does wave engine expose the Bounding Box of spine animation objects ? (http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-bounding-boxes)

- What are the best practices using timers in wave engine in regards to spine animation play?

- If I use Rigid-body2D, can I still use collider intersects to detect collision detection? It seems not working.

Thanks in advance
    Ankan

Hi Ankan0004020,

- Does wave engine expose the Bounding Box of spine animation objects ? (http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-bounding-boxes)

WaveEngine API exposes Skeleton spine API with all spine data. So you can get it from there. For example BoundingBox attachments you can do the following:

Code:
     this.skeleton = new Entity("Spine")
                                .AddComponent(new Transform2D() { X = 350, Y = 460, XScale = 1, YScale = 1 })
                                .AddComponent(new SkeletalData("Content/" + file + ".atlas"))
                                .AddComponent(new SkeletalAnimation("Content/" + file + ".json"))
                                .AddComponent(new SkeletalRenderer() { ActualDebugMode = SkeletalRenderer.DebugMode.None });

var sa = this.skeleton.FindComponent<SkeletalAnimation>();
                var slots = sa.Skeleton.Slots;
                foreach (Spine.Slot slot in slots)
                {
                    var attachment = slot.Attachment;
                    if (attachment is Spine.RegionAttachment)
                    {

}
                    else if (attachment is Spine.MeshAttachment)
                    {

}
                    else if (attachment is Spine.SkinnedMeshAttachment)
                    {

}
                    else if (attachment is Spine.BoundingBoxAttachment)
                    {
                        var boundingbox = attachment as Spine.BoundingBoxAttachment;

}     
                 }
    Note. You need to add a Spine-csharp.dll reference library (included with WaveEngine installation)

- What are the best practices using timers in wave engine in regards to spine animation play?

if you want to know when a SpineAnimation to finished. You can use EndAnimation event:

Code:
    sa.EndAnimation += (s, o) =>
    {
        // new action
    };
    Note: sa is SkeletalAnimation instance

On the others hand if you want to create timers on wave engine, you can use:

Code:
    WaveServices.TimerFactory.CreateTimer(TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(milliseconds), () =>
    {
        // new action
    }, false);
    - If I use Rigid-body2D, can I still use collider intersects to detect collision detection? It seems not working.
    If you want to detect collision between 2 physics entities, you can use the rigidBody2D events:

Code:
    var rb2d = yourEntity.FindComponent<RigidBody2D>();
                    rb2d.OnPhysic2DCollision += (s, o) => 
                    {
                        // collision detected
                    };
    Finally I recommend you take a look at our spine sample:
    https://github.com/WaveEngine/Sample...letalAnimation

And you can also find all the source code integration and Spine WaveEngine in:
    https://github.com/WaveEngine/Extens...veEngine.Spine

I hope that you find it useful

Regards!
    Jorge Cantón

Comment

Hi Jorge Cantón,

Thanks a lot for so much useful details. It really helps.

I will try the bounding box code and spine animation event. They seem to solve a lot of issues on my end.

In regards to Collider.Interects method, the reason I want to use them for rigidbody is I am trying to implement the Steering behaviour for obstacle avoidance:
      (Something like this)
      http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/...--gamedev-7777

That requires to determine a virtual collision detection for the object which seems to be not possible with OnPhysic2DCollision.

Let me know if you think there is a better way to solve this problem.

Greatly appreciate all of your help so far.

Cheers
      Ankan

Comment

Hi Ankan,

The Steering Behavior is very interesting . In your link you can see collision code but if you want use Collider2D collision with Wave Engine you can do:

Code:
                    // Create zombie
                    Entity zombie = new Entity()
                                    .AddComponent(new Transform2D() { Position = new Vector2(zombiePosX, zombiePosY) })
                                    .AddComponent(new CircleCollider2D()) // Or RectangleCollider2D
                                    .AddComponent(new Sprite("zombie.png"))
                                    .AddComponent(new SpriteRenderer(DefaultLayers.Alpha));
                    EntityManager.Add(zombie);

// Create random obstacles
                    for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
                    {
                        Entity obstacle = new Entity() { Tag = "obstacle" }
                                            .AddComponent(new Transform2D()) //{ Position = Random })
                                            .AddComponent(new CircleCollider2D()) // Or RectangleCollider2D
                                            .AddComponent(new Sprite("obstacle.png"))
                        EntityManager.Add(obstacle);
                    }

// Check collision between zombie and obstacles
                    var zc2d = zombie.FindComponent<CircleCollider2D>();
                    var obstacles = EntityManager.FindAllByTag("obstracle").ToList();
                    foreach (Entity e in obstacles)
                    {
                        var oc2d = e.FindComponent<CircleCollider2D>(); // Or RectangleCollider2D
                        if (zc2d.Intersects(oc2d))
                        {
                            // Collision detected
                        }
                    }
        I hope that you find it useful and you show more about your game

Regards!
        ​Jorge Cantón

Comment

Hi ​Jorge,

Thanks again for your reply. Sorry for my late response. I will definitely share more about the game once sort out all the tricky scenarios

In regards to collision avoidance, I think the major issue is when I add rigidbody as a component to an entity, Collider2D does not work as expected. Is that a known issue?

I need both rigidbody and collider2D works together. I know that OnPhysics2DCollision will help but need that collider2D for a virtual collision detection in advance.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
          Ankan

Comment

Hi Ankan,
            What do you mean with "Collider2D does not work as expected" ?
            Could you add some code that reproduces the issue with the current behavior and tell us what did you expect to better help you?

Thanks!

Comment

Here are some sample code: (Sorry for massive details.)

var player= new Entity("Player")
              .AddComponent(new Transform2D()
              {
              X = position.X, Y = position.Y,
              XScale = 1f, YScale = 1f,
              Origin = Vector2.One/4,
              Rectangle = new RectangleF(0, 0, Width * 0.85f, Height * 0.85f)
              })
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalData("Content/Animations/" + file + ".atlas"))
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalAnimation("Content/Animations/" + file + ".json"))
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalRenderer() { ActualDebugMode = SkeletalRenderer.DebugMode.None })
              .AddComponent(new RectangleCollider() { DebugLineColor = Color.Red })
              .AddComponent(new RigidBody2D() { PhysicBodyType = PhysicBodyType.Dynamic, IgnoreGravity = true,
              FixedRotation = true, Damping = ImpulseDamping});

var playerRigidBody2D = gameScene.Player.Entity.FindComponent<RigidBody2D> ();
              playerRigidBody2D.OnPhysic2DCollision += playerRigidBody2D_OnPhysic2DCollision;
              var playerCollider = gameScene.Player.Entity.FindComponent<RectangleCol lider>(true);

var enemy = new Entity(string.Format("Enemy{0}", name)) { Tag = "Enemy" }
              .AddComponent(new Transform2D()
              {
              X = position.X, Y = position.Y,
              XScale = 1f, YScale = 1f,
              Rectangle = new RectangleF(0, 0, Width * 0.85f, Height * 0.85f)
              })
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalData("Content/Animations/" + file + ".atlas"))
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalAnimation("Content/Animations/" + file + ".json"))
              .AddComponent(new SkeletalRenderer() { ActualDebugMode = SkeletalRenderer.DebugMode.None })
              .AddComponent(new RectangleCollider() { DebugLineColor = Color.Red })
              .AddComponent(new RigidBody2D() { PhysicBodyType = PhysicBodyType.Dynamic, IgnoreGravity = true,
              FixedRotation = true, Damping = 35})
              .AddComponent(new EnemyBehavior(this));

var enemyCollider = gameScene.Enemy.Entity.FindComponent<RectangleColl ider>(true);

void playerRigidBody2D_OnPhysic2DCollision(object sender, Physic2DCollisionEventArgs args)
              {
              // works great!
              }

if (playerCollider.Intersects(enemyCollider ))
              {
              // this never works
              }

Hope this helps.

Comment

To add on top of that code, what I found playerCollider.Intersects(enemyCollider )) actually works when player moves against the enemy, but if the player stands still and the enemy chases and eventually collides with player, none of the playerRigidBody2D_OnPhysic2DCollision or playerCollider.Intersects(enemyCollider ) fires, rather player keeps moving even though user is not trying to move the player.
                Not sure if I been able to explain clearly, let me know if you need more details.

Comment

I have modified the sample
                  https://github.com/WaveEngine/Sample...sionCategories

With this Scene:
                  Code:
                  public class MyScene : Scene
                      {
                          // Consts
                          private const string CRATEA_TEXTURE = "Content/CrateA.wpk";
                          private const string CRATEB_TEXTURE = "Content/CrateB.wpk";
                          private const string CIRCLE_TEXTURE = "Content/CircleSprite.wpk";
                          private const string GROUND_TEXTURE = "Content/GroundSprite.wpk";

// Box Instance count
                          private long instances = 0;
                          private Entity circle;
                          private Entity crate;
                          private CircleCollider circleCollider;
                          private RectangleCollider crateCollider;

/// <summary>
                          /// Creates the scene.
                          /// </summary>
                          /// <remarks>
                          /// This method is called before all
                          /// <see cref="T:WaveEngine.Framework.Entity" /> instances in this instance are initialized.
                          /// </remarks>
                          protected override void CreateScene()
                          {
                              // Create a 2D camera
                              var camera2D = new FixedCamera2D("Camera2D")
                              {
                                  BackgroundColor = Color.CornflowerBlue
                              };
                              EntityManager.Add(camera2D);

// Create Border limits with "Category.All" CollisionGroup (colliding bodies no matter the body collision category)
                              this.CreateClosures();

this.circle = this.CreateCircle(200, 200, CIRCLE_TEXTURE, Physic2DCategory.Cat2);
                              EntityManager.Add(this.circle);

this.crate = this.CreateCrate(200, 200, CRATEB_TEXTURE, Physic2DCategory.Cat2);
                              EntityManager.Add(this.crate);

// Mouse drag controller
                              this.AddSceneBehavior(new MouseBehavior(), SceneBehavior.Order.PostUpdate);
                          }

/// <summary>
                          /// Allows to perform custom code when this instance is started.
                          /// </summary>
                          /// <remarks>
                          /// This base method perfoms a layout pass.
                          /// </remarks>
                          protected override void Start()
                          {
                              base.Start();
                          }

/// <summary>
                          /// Creates a Physic Crate
                          /// </summary>
                          /// <param name="x"></param>
                          /// <param name="y"></param>
                          /// <returns></returns>
                          private Entity CreateCrate(float x, float y, string texture, Physic2DCategory category)
                          {
                              Entity crate = new Entity("Crate" + this.instances++)
                                  .AddComponent(new Transform2D() { X = x, Y = y, Origin = Vector2.Center })
                                  .AddComponent(new RectangleCollider())
                                  .AddComponent(new Sprite(texture))
                                  .AddComponent(new JointMap2D())
                                  .AddComponent(new RigidBody2D() { PhysicBodyType = PhysicBodyType.Dynamic, CollisionCategories = category, CollidesWith = category })
                                  .AddComponent(new SpriteRenderer(DefaultLayers.Opaque));

var rigidBody = crate.FindComponent<RigidBody2D>();
                              rigidBody.OnPhysic2DCollision += rigidBody_OnPhysic2DCollision;

this.crateCollider = crate.FindComponent<RectangleCollider>();
                              return crate;
                          }

void rigidBody_OnPhysic2DCollision(object sender, Physic2DCollisionEventArgs args)
                          {

if (circleCollider.Intersects(this.crateCollider))
                              {

}
                          }

/// <summary>
                          /// Creates a Physic Circle
                          /// </summary>
                          /// <param name="x"></param>
                          /// <param name="y"></param>
                          /// <returns></returns>
                          private Entity CreateCircle(float x, float y, string texture, Physic2DCategory category)
                          {
                              Entity box = new Entity("Circle" + this.instances++)
                                  .AddComponent(new Transform2D() { X = x, Y = y, Origin = Vector2.Center })
                                  .AddComponent(new CircleCollider())
                                  .AddComponent(new Sprite(texture))
                                  .AddComponent(new JointMap2D())
                                  .AddComponent(new RigidBody2D() { PhysicBodyType = PhysicBodyType.Dynamic, CollisionCategories = category })

this.circleCollider = box.FindComponent<CircleCollider>();

return box;
                          }

/// <summary>
                          /// Creates Physic Borders
                          /// </summary>
                          private void CreateClosures()
                          {
                              EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("top1", 150, -10, 0));
                              EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("top2", 650, -10, 0));

EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("bottom1", 150, 610, 0));
                              EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("bottom2", 650, 610, 0));

EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("left", 0, 300, MathHelper.ToRadians(90)));
                              EntityManager.Add(this.CreateGround("right", 800, 300, MathHelper.ToRadians(90)));
                          }

/// <summary>
                          /// Creates a Physic Ground.
                          /// </summary>
                          /// <param name="name">Entity Name.</param>
                          /// <param name="x">X Position.</param>
                          /// <param name="y">Y Position.</param>
                          /// <param name="angle">Ground Angle.</param>
                          /// <returns>Ground Entity.</returns>
                          private Entity CreateGround(string name, float x, float y, float angle)
                          {
                              Entity sprite = new Entity(name)
                                  .AddComponent(new Transform2D() { X = x, Y = y, Origin = Vector2.Center, Rotation = angle })
                                  .AddComponent(new RectangleCollider())
                                  .AddComponent(new Sprite(GROUND_TEXTURE))
                                  .AddComponent(new RigidBody2D() { PhysicBodyType = PhysicBodyType.Kinematic, Friction = 1, CollisionCategories = Physic2DCategory.All })

return sprite;
                          }
                      }

The event is raising and the intersects method is running ok.
                  Could you try it and tell us if it is working ok for you?

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                  X