Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentation examples

Hi,
    I think the documentation lacks examples. Maybe not all Members (like coordinates or rotation) need an example but the most need. Also the classes need a more comprehensive explanaition.
    I know that documentation is very time consuming. Maybe the community can contribute examples, that you review and publish after reviewing...
    best regards,
    Michael

Hi Ikarus76,

I think that this is a very good idea, how do you think would be the best way for user to send us their tutorials?. Maybe with a wiki?

Comment

Hi,
      there should be a way to integrate it directly into the Documentation/Reference. The simplest would be a link, that opens the email client with filled in subject to identify the page, where the example belongs to. Or a link to a page, where the user can type his code and post it.

But at first, please repair the forum software. It is terrible!!!

Best regards,
      Michael

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the first thing that we have been working on is to fix this forum, Please test the new version.

Best regards,

Comment

Is working now! good job

Comment

We definitely need a tutorial on how to set up a basic scene, with a simple sprite, adding movement and a textbox that counts score, or something.
            The documentation as it is makes it incredibly hard to set up the most basic stuff, and adding a class to a new entity can be quite an exercise in frustration.
            Specially, when the example given isn't even working (complains something about wpk file not being compatible.

I spend a whole lot of time just figuring out how to control a rectangle using the keyboard keys, and must say, it's not that nice.

But I'd better explain:
            1) When you create a class, it's barren of Wave namespaces, so you have to fetch them by yourself, and have to figure out which does what.

2) Keyboard key routine could be better handled (WaveServices.Input.KeyboardState.X)? Why not implement it in the WaveEngine.Input namespace? Would make better sense...

3) We have to have a base even if empty? This is where my biggest hurdle came in. Tim's example wasn't running, so I had to read the code in the example and dissect piece by piece.
            Considering I had no animation, no turning logic, I had to go through a lot of hurdles trying to understand why the compiler was ranting about the Update method. I then added a public method, with a base and nothing in it, to make it run...

4) It would be AMAZING if in the bare template there were more methods exposed, with a line of comments so we would know some more methods and what they do. Draw(), for instance, Update()

5) A bit of an example on how to manipulate the origin of entities at run time ( for instance, what if I want Tim to have a different origin but don't know his original dimensions? Etc...

I know this is a fairly advanced framework, and I'm still learning, but if people get worked up because of things that have to be figured out by constant trial and error, they will move on to other engines/frameworks.

Also, the forum is so sloooooowww....

Comment

Working...
            X